BCHS HISTORIC MARKER PROGRAM
The Society, since 1960, has had a continuing program of designating historic sites in the county with distinctive blue and silver markers. These markers are sponsored and paid for by individuals, clubs, institutions, business organizations and municipalities. It is the Society's most visible program with over 160 large Blue signs in Bergen County, NJ. They are designed to educated the general public with a "mini-history lesson" for a particular site or area and are also helpful in generating interest in historic preservation.
Please see the application below if you are interested in applying for a BCHS Blue Marker.
From the very beginning of its history in 1902, the Bergen County Historical Society was interested in placing historic markers and monuments to commemorate important places and events in Bergen County. Some of the events are listed below:
In 1904, BCHS raised $500 (one fifth the cost) for a base for General Enoch Poor's statue in Hackensack and was involved with erection of the statue and planned the event.
In 1905, a BCHS committee on Historic Places formed a list that included Old Red Mill at Arcola, "Baron Steuben House at New Bridge", Polifly Road, Closter Landing, Col. Baylor's Massacre site, Campground at Paramus, Prevost House at Hohokus and the Mansion House on the Green.
In 1908, BCHS was represented by 17 members on the executive board for the Fort Lee Monument.
In 1919, BCHS made plans for a "noble and impressive" Camp Merritt monument and celebration.
General John J. Pershing attended.
In 1920, the Protestant Lutheran Church, New Bridge on River Road, Teaneck was marked. BCHS participated in the dedication of the Liberty Pole in 1921.
In 1959, BCHS President Lewis Owen planned the BCHS Historic Marker Program. Over 160 BCHS Blue Markers are now found throughout Bergen County.
The Historical Marker Database:
This website has included BCHS Blue markers. It is a comprehensive list of markers with photos, actual marker text, map locations and links to histories of each marker. It's a very informative resource.
Refurbishing BCHS Markers
The sign company, Sewah, recommends shipping the metal sign back for professional refinishing but some people have had favorable results with the below "Do-It-Yourself" information.
1. Sign should be removed from post using an Allen wrench. (If screws are frozen, try WD 40. On very old signs special tools may be required).
2. Take sign to a work space and wash with soap and water and rinse well. Let dry.
3. Paint the ENTIRE marker Delft Blue auto enamel (DuPont #93-032.) If not available use equivalent to match our Delft blue color.
Recent Paint Recipe: Here is the custom color code that Ace Hardware in River Edge, NJ, provided for the blue marker restoration project:
HP29 – 4X (Gallon)
S1 2x 0.0000
W1 3x 4.0000
M1 3x 0.0000
B1 5x 0.0000
4. Sand all raised lettering and rail borders down to aluminum base to give "silver" appearance (except BCHS seal at top).
5. BCHS seal to be painted silver (too detailed to sand).
6. Cover entire sign with clear enamel or lacquer as a preservative.
I have found through trial and error over many years that the above procedure with last longest. To simply paint silver letters in the field will not last for more than a year or two.
For damage posts beyond repair, a new one must be ordered.
Reginald McMahon, Chairman
Historic Marker Committee
Reg has since passed away.
The markers are the property of the property owner and BCHS is not responsible for them.