Bergen County Historical Society
ARMY AIR FORCES HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
www.aafha.org

Formed in 1993, the Army Air Forces Historical Association®, based in northern New Jersey, is an historical and educational non-profit organization.  The association participates in air shows, historical retrospect's, educational programs and seminars providing static displays of World War II Army Air Forces memorabilia.  These artifacts portray what service life was like when the world was at war and fathers, sons and daughters trained and served in many distant locations.

AVIATION HALL OF FAME & MUSEUM OF NEW JERSEY
400 Fred Wehran Dr.
Teterboro, NJ 07608
www.njahof.org

Museum dedicated to preserving the 209-year history of aviation in New Jersey. Airplanes, helicopters, piston, jet and rocket engines, a satellite and astronaut uniforms are displayed.
Open Tues. – Sun. 10 – 4. Adults $5; Srs. & Kids under 12, $3.
BAYLOR MASSACRE BURIAL SITE
Rivervale Rd. & Red Oak Dr.
River Vale, NJ 07675

http://bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/baylormassacre.html

This park marks the burial site of Continental Dragoons slain Sept. 28, 1778 and then buried in tanning vats.

An archaeological excavation, cosponsored by the Bergen County Board of Chosen Freeholders and the Bergen County Historical Society discovered the burials in 1967. In the 1970s, the remains were reinterred at this site.


Also see the article in the 1971 BCHS Annual.
Open during daylight hours.

The BERGEN COUNTY FILM COMMISSION & FORT LEE FILM COMMISSION
http://www.fortleefilm.org

Reel Jersey concentrates on securing present-day filmmakers to attend the festival to screen/premiere their present day films. Workshops and symposiums will be held in addition to the screenings which will take place in the Williams Center and which will access all five screens as well as the 1923 Rivoli Theatre in the Williams Center.
BERGEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY LIBRARY AND MANUSCRIPT COLLECTION

http://www.bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/librarycollections.html


Currently in storage as we look for a partner to make this collection accessible to researchers and historians. Please contact us if you have a resource: contactBCHS@bergencountyhistory.org

BERGEN SWAN
Bergen Save the Watershed Action Network
Post Box 217, Westwood, NJ 07675
201-666-1877 -Voice • 201-666-0220 - Fax
bergenswan@sprynet.com
www.bergenswan.org

From our beginnings in 1988, Bergen SWAN has been aggressively pursuing the preservation of the watershed buffer forests around our drinking water reservoirs.  To date, we have helped protect from development over 3,300 acres of woods and wetlands, and over 300 acres of golf courses. 
Land Conservation • Environmental Restoration • Education

BERGENFIELD MUSEUM SOCIETY
PO Box 95
84 Hickory Avenue
Bergenfield, NJ 07621
201-384-8656
www.bergenfieldmuseum.com/

The Bergenfield Museum is in the process of building a new building to house its collection of artifacts from Bergenfield and the earlier area called Schrallenberg. Items include Cooper chairs from the 1800s, textiles, woven coverlets and clothing, toys, quilts, pictures, tools and pottery.
BISHOP HOUSE FOUNDATION
176 East Saddle River Rd.
Saddle River, NJ 07458
(201) 327-2727
www.bishophousefoundation.org/

19th century local historic landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places, associated with the Ackerman and Dewsnap families, and serving as a community center for the Saddle River Valley.

BELSKIE MUSEUM of ART & SCIENCE
280 High Street
Closter, New Jersey 07624
Tel: 20l-768-0286
Fax: 20l-768-4220
www.belskiemuseum.com

The goal of the Belskie Museum of Art and Science is first and foremost, the preservation and display of the work of Abram Belskie and to promote his reputation as a major sculptor, medallic artist and medical illustrator of the twentieth century.
Our second goal is to provide a forum for the arts by providing a venue where both local and international artists of repute can display their works in a museum setting to an appreciative audience.

BLACKLEDGE KEARNEY HOUSE
Alpine Picnic Area.
Palisades Interstate Park, NJ Section
Tel: 201 768-1360
www.njpalisades.org/kearney.htm

Listed on the National and New Jersey State Historic Registers as the “Blackledge–Kearney House”—but more familiarly known as the “Kearney House” and formerly as the “Cornwallis Headquarters”—this house is the oldest building in the New Jersey Section of the Palisades Interstate Park. The house has been a Hudson River homestead, a riverfront tavern, a Park police station, and a “historic shrine.” Today it helps bring to life over two centuries of the story of the Hudson River and the women and men who depended upon it for their lives and livelihoods.
Open weekends, May - October.
CADMUS HOUSE
14-01 Politt Dr.
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
www.fairlawn.org/boards/Cadmus/CadmusMuseum.htm

Stone House Museum c. 1815. Artifacts and photos from pre-history, through rural community to suburbs. Open 3rd Sunday in spring and fall, and by appointment. Fair Lawn Borough Museum
CAMPBELL-CHRISTIE HOUSE
Historic New Bridge Landing
1201-1209 Main St.
River Edge, NJ 07661
www.bergencountyhistory.org

A gambrel, center-hall sandstone dwelling at the busy intersection of River Road and Henley Avenue, New Milford, in 1774. It was probably enlarged to its present dimensions just after the American Revolution (1783), since the wooden trapezoidal lintels, painted to look like sandstone, are indicative of that time. John Christie, blacksmith, purchased this house in 1795 and continued its operation as a tavern. The paneled reveals and Dutch stoop at front entrance, together with the fireplace mantles date to around 1835, when a frame kitchen wing was added. Subordinate lateral wings, generally built of contrasting material to the main block of the dwelling, are a hallmark of Bergen Dutch architecture. The building was moved to River Edge onto Bergen County Historical Society land in 1977 by County Freeholders. It is operated by the BCHS and open for special events. Gift shop and restroom.

Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.

Serves as the headquarters of the Bergen County Historical Society. Please see our comprehensive website for a history of the county and our programming. Open for special events.

CAMP MERRITT MEMORIAL MONUMENT
Knickerbocker Rd. & Madison Ave.
Cresskill NJ, 07626

http://bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/campmerritt.html

www.co.bergen.nj.us/parks

Memorial monument marking the center of Camp Merritt, largest US Army embarkation point during World War I. Dedicated May 30th, 1924 by General John Pershing.
Viewed daily, lit at night.

CARLSTADT HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM
Sixth St., Carlstadt, NJ
Mailing address: 500 Madison S.t,
Carlstadt, NJ 07072
www.carlstadtnj.us/historical.html

Exhibits on Carlstadt’s history in the 2nd floor of the 1919 Carlstadt Fire House. Open the 4th Sunday of the month, 2-4 pm, or by appointment.
CLOSTER HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION
www.closterhistoricpreservation.org

It is the objective of the Preservation Commission to preserve, protect, promote and enhance the historic resources for current and future generations to enjoy. The Commission also can provide assistance by offering recommendations, alternatives and information on the techniques used in historic preservation. On the most basic level, however, the success of historic preservation depends upon private stewardship of historic buildings. Homeowners can take pride in knowing that by properly maintaining or restoring their historic homes, they are not only increasing their property values, but also helping to assure that Closter’s past is part of its future.

CROSSROADS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION NATIONAL HERITAGE AREA
http://www.revolutionarynj.org/

Crossroads of the American Revolution Association was founded in 2002 as the only state-wide non-profit organization established to offer a forum for new citizen initiatives on education, historical interpretation, site use and heritage tourism; and to raise popular appreciation of the historical significance of the American Revolution in New Jersey. We involve local communities and other partners to revitalize our historic cities and towns by reclaiming, enhancing and linking our threatened Revolutionary War sites and heritage landscapes. By promoting cultural and heritage tourism we will gain national and international visibility for New Jersey’s irreplaceable Revolutionary War landscapes and sites and promote economic development.

DOUGHBOYS OF NYC
www.doughboysofnyc.com

Photo essay website of the many WWI Doughboy Memorials that are situated in and around the city of New York. Many of these memorials took the form of a life size Doughboy statue. Listed by area.

DEMAREST HOUSE
Historic New Bridge Landing
1201-1209 Main St.
River Edge, NJ 07661
www.bergencountyhistory.org

An 18th-century two-room sandstone dwelling with double front doors and distinctive spring-eave on front. Removed stone-by-stone from original site beside French Burial Ground in New Milford in 1955-56. Located at at Historic New Bridge Landing Historic Park.

Displays collection of Demarest family and Bergen Dutch artifacts. Open for special events by BCHS in cooperation with the Blauvelt Demarest Foundation.

EASTON TOWER
Red Mill Rd.
Route 4 & Saddle River Rd.
Paramus, NJ 07652

www.bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/redmill.html

The 1904 historic sandstone, irrigation tower with waterwheel, near the Saddle River Bikeway in Arcola, is the only preserved structure erected by Edward D. Easton, notable in the history of American technology. It was designed and erected on his now-gone, elaborately landscaped estate, by architect Henry S. Ihnen. Can be viewed during daylight hours. A County Historic Site.

FORT LEE HISTORIC PARK
Hudson Terrace
Fort Lee, NJ 07024
http://www.njpalisades.org/flhp.htm

The historic park is dedicated to pre-serving and interpreting the role of Fort Lee during the American Revolu-tionary War. Thirty-three acre site of Revolutionary War fortifications featuring museum with audio-visual exhibits, paved trails, reconstructed gun batteries and solder's hut.
Cultural events held year round in 204-seat auditorium.
Open Weds. – Sun., 10 – 5. Closed Jan. – Feb. Administered by the Pali-sades Interstate Park Com-mission.
FORT LEE MUSEUM AT THE JUDGE MOORE HOUSE
1588 Palisade Ave. (location)
Fort Lee, NJ 07024
www.fortlee.com/htm/history/museum.htm

The Fort Lee Historical Society collection is housed at the Judge Moore House Museum, 1588 Palisade Avenue, Fort Lee.  The Museum is open Saturdays and Sundays from Noon to 4pm.  The collection is open by appointment.  Call 201-592-3580 or email flhsarchivist@gmail.com. Judge Moore built the house in 1922 out of Palisade blue stone.

The Fort Lee Historical Society has a blog. http://fortleehistoryarchive.blogspot.com.

FRIENDS OF THE HACKENSACK RIVER GREENWAY THROUGH TEANECK
PO Box 3028
Teaneck, NJ 07666
www.teaneckgreenway.org

Our mission: To support and encourage the conservation and enjoyment of the Hackensack River Greenway through Teaneck. The Greenway is a combination of a pedestrian walkway and nature trail. Native vegetation is encouraged within the Greenway.
Non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization. Meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month at the Rodda Center. All members are welcome. If you are interested in joining a committee or doing other work, please let us know. Website includes photos of flora & fauna of Hackensack River along Teaneck. Events posted.

GARRETSON FARM
4-02 River Rd.
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
www.garretsonfarm.org

County-owned historic sandstone farmhouse with outbuildings. Small wing section built c.1720 and main house built c. 1800. Listed on the State and National Register of Historic places. Museum and gardens run by Garretson Forge & Farm Restoration, Inc. Features restored colonial kitchen and gardens of heirloom herbs and vegetables. Three annual festi-vals with hands-on activities.
Open Sundays 1-4. A County Historic Site.
THE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY OF BERGEN COUNTY
Ridgewood Public Library
125 No. Maple Ave.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
www.njgsbc.org

The Genealogical Society of Bergen County (GSBC) holds monthly meetings at the Ridgewood Public Library at 125 No. Maple Ave. in Ridgewood, New Jersey. Meetings are at 7PM. They are free and open to the public.
For more information, please visit our website at www.njgsbc.org.
GETHSEMANE CEMETERY
Entrance on Summit Pl.
off Liberty St.
Little Ferry, NJ 07643
www.co.bergen.nj.us/parks

County-owned historic site established in 1860 – 1930 for the purpose of burying African-Americans. Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places, the cemetery played a significant role in New Jersey’s late 19th century Civil Rights legislation. Currently being restored for self-guided tours. A County Historic Site.
HACKENSACK RIVER KEEPER
www.hackensackriverkeeper.org/

The primary Mission of the Hackensack Riverkeeper, Inc. is to provide representation for the natural living resources of the Hackensack River. This representation is manifested in the Hackensack environmental advocacy, education and conservation programs. The focus of Hackensack Riverkeeper, Inc. is to protect and defend the environmental quality of the eco-system of the estuary, river and watershed and the quality of life for the people and other creatures that inhabit the Hackensack River watershed.
The HERMITAGE
335 North Franklin Turnpike
Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ 07423
www.thehermitage.org

National Historic Landmark c. 1760 sandstone house, remodeled in 1847 by noted architect William H. Ranlett. Outstanding Gothic Revival style. Site has rich Revolutionary War history. Programs and special events held year round. Office hours 9 – 5, Mon. – Fri.
Tours 1 – 4 pm, Weds. & Sun.
HIRAM BLAUVELT WILDLIFE MUSEUM
705 Kinderkamack Road
Oradell, NJ 07649
(201) 261-0012
www.blauveltartmuseum.com

The Hiram Blauvelt Art Museum was established inwas established in 1957 by the Blauvelt-Demarest Foundation, a legacy of the late Hiram Blauvelt, philanthropist, conservationist and collector. Through the contribution of his private wildlife art and big game collections, he hoped to promote the cultural value of wildlife art and the need for the conservation of its subjects.

One of only five museums in the United States to exclusively display wildlife art, the Blauvelt is recognized internationally. The Hiram Blauvelt Art Museum is pleased to partner with the Artists for Conservation and its member artists in their campaign to protect endangered species and their habitats.

HISTORIC NEW BRIDGE LANDING PARK
1201-1209 Main St.
PO Box 4131
River Edge, NJ 07661
www.newbridgelanding.org

www.bergencountyhistory.org

Historic New Bridge Landing, strategically situated at the narrows of the Hackensack River, contains the Steuben House, a State Historic Site, the Campbell-Christie House, a County Historic Site, and the Demarest House, all landmarks of Bergen Dutch sandstone architecture.

The darkest hours of the American Revolution were played out at New Bridge in November 1776 when Washington led the fleeing American garrison of Fort Lee across the BRIDGE THAT SAVED A NATION. Eyewitness Thomas Paine immortalized the crossing in the first essay of the American Crisis beginning with the memorable phrase "These are the times that try men's souls."

Historic New Bridge Landing not only preserves an exceptional fragment of the Jersey Dutch countryside, it also holds pre-historic significance being the site of an Indian "Castle", occupied by the Hackensack Indians.

The mid-19th century barn and a replica of a 1770 outkitchen along with all the Campbell-Christie and Demarest houses are located on Bergen County Historical Society land, the BCHS is the largest landowner at New Bridge. The BCHS is not a government supported agency. We rely on upon volunteer support, especially membership to protect our irreplaceable heritage and to pass on the lessons of history.

The 1888-89 swing bridge was restored by the County of Bergen in 2002. The Revolutionary War Battle ground extends into Brett Park, Teaneck.

See individual listings for visiting hours.

The Bergen County Historical Society's headquarters are at HNBL and provides all progamming at the site. The BCHS's museum collections are in storage since the April 2007 Flood. The Historic New Bridge Landing Park Commission is the managing agency (See below). Please see the BCHS website for more history.

To download a brochure and map of the site.

HISTORIC NEW BRIDGE LANDING PARK COMMISSION
PO Box 4131
New Bridge Landing Station
River Edge NJ 07661
www.newbridgelanding.org

In 1995, the Historic New Bridge Landing Park Commission was established by the New Jersey Legislature to coordinate and implement governmental and private development policies and other activities incidental to the preservation maintenance, restoration and interpretation of the historic riverfront village surrounding New Bridge, thereby optimizing its educational and recreational benefit to the public. Soon thereafter, a General Management Plan was prepared, setting forth the interpretive themes, management objectives and future planning needs.

In 1995, the Historic New Bridge Landing Park Commission was established by the New Jersey Legislature to coordinate and implement governmental and private development policies and other activities incidental to the preservation maintenance, restoration and interpretation of the historic riverfront village surrounding New Bridge, thereby optimizing its educational and recreational benefit to the public. Soon thereafter, a General Management Plan was prepared, setting forth the interpretive themes, management objectives and future planning needs.

The historic village spans the Hackensack River at the intersection of four municipalities (River Edge, New Milford, Teaneck and Hackensack) and encompasses municipal, county and state owned resources. Representatives from each government entity as well as from the Bergen County Historical Society and the Blauvelt-Demarest Foundation serve on the Commission. The Commission has successfully combined
money, expertise, from a multitude of public and private sources to leverage restoration, land acquisition, and site enhancement and has in a very short time shown itself to be a model for success.

Initiative Partners: River Edge Borough; New Milford Borough; Teaneck Township; Bergen County; New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks and Forestry; Bergen County Historical Society; and Blauvelt-Demarest Foundation.

THE HOLLAND SOCIETY OF NEW YORK
www.hollandsociety.com

The Holland Society was founded in New York City in 1885 to collect information respecting the settlement and history of New Netherland. Its main objective is to find and preserve documentation about the inhabitants' lives and times so as to elucidate the political, social, and religious patterns in the Dutch colony. Historical publications are sponsored, along with encouragement for family studies and genealogy. Many Society members are especially active in genealogical research and publication.


The Holland Society originated The New Netherland Project which is translating and publishing the 17th Century records held by the New York State Archives. Among other current sponsorships are The Papers of Jacob Leisler Project and Records of the Translations of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Flatbush, Kings County New York.

INDIA HERITAGE COMMUNITY CENTER * CENTER OF PERFORMING ARTS
www.hindusamajmandir.org/Project-overview.html

Planned Museum: Display area for Indian Art – permanent exhibits and exhibits from Artists and other Museums. Profiles of scientists, leaders, scholars, saints and other visionaries from India.

Native Americans believe that the pond on the property was formed by a meteorite, and that unique forces of nature mysteriously keep the pond’s water level always higher than Ramapo River’s, which runs across from our property.
Water from the river Ganges will be brought from India and merged with the pond waters.  A meandering brook will be designed to flow around the 1.2 acres of gentle slopes that surround the pond.  Lush gardens, gazebos and areas for quiet contemplation and meditation will be created around the pond.  Facilities for outdoor special occasions will be provided. 

HOPPER-GOETSCHIUS HOUSE MUSEUM & TICE BARN
245 Lake St.
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
www.usrhistoricalsociety.org

The museum features a Dutch sand-stone home built in 1739, out kitchen with beehive over, privy, Dutch barn, and a frame tenant house c.1830. Open 1st Sundays, 2 – 4, June to September, and by appointment. Managed by the Upper Saddle River Historical Society.
JAMES ROSE CENTER
506 East Ridgewood Ave.
Ridgewood, NJ 07450
www.jamesrosecenter.org

The mission of the James Rose Cen-ter is to promote sound environmental design through lectures, student in-ternships, awards, public outreach, preservation, and research. It is open to the public for self-guided tours May-October.
KEARNEY HOUSE or BLACKLEDGE KEARNEY HOUSE
Alpine Picnic Area.
Palisades Interstate Park, NJ Section
Tel: 201 768-1360
www.njpalisades.org/kearney.htm

Listed on the National and New Jersey State Historic Registers as the “Blackledge–Kearney House”—but more familiarly known as the “Kearney House” and formerly as the “Cornwallis Headquarters”—this house is the oldest building in the New Jersey Section of the Palisades Interstate Park. The house has been a Hudson River homestead, a riverfront tavern, a Park police station, and a “historic shrine.” Today it helps bring to life over two centuries of the story of the Hudson River and the women and men who depended upon it for their lives and livelihoods.
Open weekends, May - October.
LYNDHURST HISTORICAL SOCIETY and the LITTLE RED SCHOOL HOUSE
PO Box 135
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
201-804-2513
Riverside and Fern Aves.
www.lyndhursthistoricalsociety.org

The Lyndhurst Historical Society is a private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of local historical sites and the promotion of community pride in Lyndhurst, NJ's history and traditions. The Lyndhurst Historical Society was established in 1984 in an effort to preserve the 1893 schoolhouse, located at 400 Riverside Avenue, on the corner of Fern Avenue, in Lyndhurst, NJ.
The Little Red School House has been restored as a museum by the Lyndhurst Historical Society with permanent and changing exhibits. Open 2nd and 4th Sunday, 2-4; other times by appointment.

MAHWAH MUSEUM
201 Franklin Tpke.
Mahwah, NJ 07430
201-512-0099
www.mahwahmuseum.org

The Mahwah Museum and Donald Cooper Railroad is open Saturday and Sundays 2-4 pm from Sept to May and other times by appointment. The Donald Cooper Railroad is currently closed for renovations until Thanksgiving 2009. The Museum offers Mahwah history exhibits and houses documents related to Mahwah’s past by the Mahwah Museum Society.

The Old Station Museum, located at 1871 Sold Station Lane (near the Mahwah Depot of NJ Transit) is open from 2-4 pm on Sundays from June to October. Admission is free, contributions are appreciated.

THE MAYWOOD STATION MUSEUM
269 Maywood Avenue, Maywood, NJ 
info@maywoodstation.com
www.maywoodstation.com

The Maywood Station Museum is operated and staffed by the volunteer membership of the Maywood Station Historical Committee. The main focus of the museum is concentrated on the history of Maywood Station and the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad and the roles they played in the development of the Borough of Maywood and the surrounding area. The museum collection contains hundreds of photographs, displays, documents, maps and artifacts covering the histories of Maywood Station, the NYS&W and local railroads, the Borough of Maywood, and the local region, which are changed periodically and designed to entertain and educate visitors of all ages as well as offer a virtual timeline to these subjects. Maywood Station is listed on the National Register of Historical Places and New Jersey Register of Historical Places. In addition, the Maywood Station Museum is listed as a Historical Archive by the State of New Jersey. Maywood Station Museum is also the official site of the New York, Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society's archive, which contains 1000's of drawings, maps, track diagrams, photos, timetables, documents and records covering the history of the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad.

 For those interested in historical buildings, meticulous care has been taken by the Maywood Station Historical Committee to show the museum in a historical context. The museum features the original woodwork painted and stained in its original colors and original Maywood Station furnishings have been restored and displayed such as the potbelly stove, station agent's desk, chairs, telegraph keys and freight scale. Victorian-period original light fixtures and sconces adorn the ceilings and walls. Additional items have been painstakingly reproduced to the exact original specifications of over one-hundred years ago including the station benches and bay window area.

Have you ever wondered what the inside of an actual caboose looked like? The Maywood Station Museum has a caboose and visitors are invited to climb aboard Caboose 24542 and view additional displays and an operating model train layout. Also found on display on the station grounds is original 1942-built New York, Susquehanna & Western Alco S-2 diesel locomotive #206, which is listed on the New Jersey Register of Historical Places. Both NYS&W S-2 #206 and Caboose 24542 have been carefully restored by Maywood Station Historical Committee members.

The Maywood Station Museum is also open by appointment for class trips, boys and girls scout trips, senior citizen trips and for other organizations and clubs as well as for movie and television filming, commercial props, photo shoots, etc. Please Contact Us for further information and available dates and times. In addition, other special events will be added to the above Museum Operating Schedule when appropriate.

THE MEADOWS FOUNDATION
1289 Easton Avenue
Somerset, NJ 08873
(732) 828-7418
www.themeadowsfoundation.org

The Meadows Foundation is a unique collection of seven historic properties and buildings nurtured by a group of volunteers. There are two early Dutch farmhouses, one pre-Revolutionary family tavern, two Civil War era farms, one bridgetender's house and one early Edwardian property - all nestled in Central Jersey.

MEADOWLANDS MUSEUM
PO Box 3,
91 Crane Ave.
Rutherford, NJ 07070
www.meadowlandsmuseum.org

The museum exists to increase people’s connection to the heritage of the Meadowlands communities by collecting, preserving, exhibiting and sharing that heritage with the public. Housed in a Dutch-American house, features changing exhibits of local history and decorative arts, permanent collections of antique toys, pre-electric kitchen-ware, colonial home crafts, rocks and minerals.
SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS
341 Hoboken Road
Carlstadt, NJ
www.ModelEngineers.org

The Society is a nonprofit historical and educational organization founded in 1926. It is the oldest model railroad club in the United States. The membership of over one hundred has joined together in the common interest of preserving the historical significance of American Railroads through models, historic artifacts and memorabilia.

The Society is located at 341 Hoboken Road, Carlstadt, NJ, less than one mile from the new MetLife Stadium.

The Society has public exhibitions and related events throughout the year. The Society also welcomes visiting groups by appointment throughout the year. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in model trains or railroad history.

Additional information and travel directions can be obtained by calling 201-939-9212 or visiting the Society Web Site at http://ModelEngineers.org

NEW JERSEY MEADOWLANDS ENVIRONMENT CENTER
2 DeKorte Park Plaza
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
www.meadowlands.state.nj.us

Headquarters of the NJ Meadowlands Commission, develops active and passive recreational opportunities for the benefit of the Meadowlands District, presents a history of the Hackensack Meadowlands, and has school programs, family events, trails, and photo blinds.
NEW JERSEY NAVAL MUSEUM SUBMARINE MEMORIAL ASSO.
WW II SUBMARINE – USS LING

PO Box 395
Location: 78 River Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
www.njnm.com

The WW II Submarine USS Ling SS 297, on the State and National Register of Historic Places, is birthed on the Hackensack River at 78 River St., Hackensack. Also on site: PBR Mark II, a Vietnam era river patrol boat; German Seehund, WW II Midget 2-man submarine; WW II Japanese Keiter Type II. Also a museum with exhibits on naval history and technology.
Every Sat. & Sun. 10 – 4, guided tours are given of the USS Ling. Group tours & over-nights available.
OLD STATION MUSEUM
201 Franklin Tpk.
Mahwah, NJ 07430

Formerly Mahwah’s Railroad Station, it was acquired and restored by the Mahwah Historical Society and features railroad exhibits and models. Open Sunday 2-4 pm, between Memorial Day and the end of October.
OLD STONE HOUSE AND JUNIOR MUSEUM
538 Island Rd.
PO Box 76
Ramsey, NJ 07446
www.ramseyhistorical.org

The Old Stone House, built n the 1700s, is Ramsey’s oldest building, a Dutch stone farmhouse, listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places. It has also been known as the Westervelt-Ackerson House. The main floor is an example of Dutch colonial architecture. On the second floor there is a Junior Museum. Voluntary donations. Call for hours.
ON-LINE INSTITUTE FOR ADVANCED LOYALIST STUDIES

www.royalprovincial.com

Within you will find a combination of information we believe to be unique among sites dealing with the Loyalists of the American Revolution.
It is our goal to provide reliable, high quality material on the Loyalists in the fields of:
# Military Research
# Genealogy
# Living History
While the material contained herein is for use by anyone interested in this aspect of the American Revolution, it is primarily intended for those with a working background in Loyalist studies.
It is probably best at this point to state what we consider a Loyalist to be or what falls within the realm of Loyalist studies, as our definition differs greatly from others with which you may be familiar.
OUTWATER'S MILITIA
www.outwatersmilitia.com

Captain John Outwater's Company of the Bergen County Militia Regiment was one of twenty-five companies raised by Act of the New Jersey Assembly in 1776. However, due to the demoralizing retreat of the Continental Army across New Jersey after the Fall of New York and the surrounding American positions, it seems the Company did not actually form until early 1777.

Re-enacting breathes life into the past and Outwater's Company is the perfect outlet for any history/military history buff. The unit receives invitations from events all over the Northeast at a variety of historical sites. From two-hundred year old forts to original battlefields, you get to experience the past in a unique way. Imagine standing on the actual battlefield site and being surrounded by hundreds of people in period clothing with blue-gray smoke from the artillery and musket fire rolling over the field. You feel like you are there in the past!

Outwater's Company is always looking for more recruits.

PASCACK HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM
PO Box 285
Location: 19 Ridge Ave.
Park Ridge, NJ 07656
www.pascackhistoricalsociety.com

Museum located in an 1873 church building that was dedicated by the Rev. Henry Ward Beecher. Exhibits include a general store, colonial kitchen, dolls, clothing and other displays of American life in the Pascack Valley. A special exhibit features the world’s only wampum drilling machine. Group tours by appointment.
Open Sundays 2 – 4:30.
PASCACK REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY
PO Box 117
65 Pascack Rd.
Park Ridge, NJ 07656
www.pascackreformedchurch.org/cemetery

Active church cemetery that includes four old separate historic burial areas.
RIDGEWOOD PUBLIC LIBRARY • LOCAL HISTORY and GENEALOGY CENTER
125 N. Maple Avenue
Ridgewood, NJ 07450
201-670-5600
http://www.ridgewoodlibrary.org/localhistory/local_history_genealogy.htm

We have many resources to help you research the history of Ridgewood and its surrounding areas, as well as Genealogical resources for tracing your ancestry. Please browse our links, and come visit our Local History Room, and Genealogy Resource Center at the Library on the second floor.

ROUNDTABLE MEETINGS of the BERGEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
http://www.bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/events.html

Monthly Meetings with a Speaker.
Where are meetings held? The Iron Horse restaurant, Westwood, NJ. Open to the public? Yes, definitely. What time? Come between 6:30 & 7:00 pm for conversation and fellowship. Meals? Optional dinner costing $20, including gratuity. Advance reservations? Not required. Admission charges or dues? None. Questions? Contact Chairman David Whieldon 201-967-7692.
SCHOOLHOUSE MUSEUM OF THE RIDGEWOOD HISTORICAL SOCIETY
650 East Glen Ave.
Ridgewood, NJ 07450

An 1873 schoolhouse museum, operated by the Ridgewood Historical Society, is furnished as an 1870s school-house and includes exhibits of artifacts pertaining to the area’s Dutch settlers, the Colonial, Civil War and Victorian eras. Open May to October on Sunday 2:30 – 4:30.
STEUBEN HOUSE
(ZABRISKIE-STEUBEN HOUSE)

Historic New bridge Landing
1209 Main St.
River Edge, NJ 07661
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/historic/steuben/steuben-index.htm
Note: Most of the images and history on the NJDEP site were provided to the State by the Bergen County Historical Society.

http://www.bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/steubenhsehistory.html

Jan and Annetje (Ackerman) Zabriskie prospered as miller and merchant at this site. They built a five-room stone cottage in 1752 and enlarged to present size around 1767 by addition of the second story along the rear and the entire north block with its paneled parlor and bed chamber.

Described in 1784 as a “Large Mansion House containing twelve rooms built with stone, with Out-houses consisting of a Bake House, Smoke House, Coach House, and two large Barns, and a Garden, Forty Acres of Land consisting of Meadow Land and two Orchards.”

The State of NJ presented the war-damaged house to Major-General Baron von Steuben in 1783. Steuben’s aide-de-camp, Capt. Benjamin Walker resided here, while Steuben made regular visits and summer retreats from his Manhattan lodgings. He sold it back to the Zabriskies in 1788.

Owned by NJDEP. BCHS collections displayed here until April 2007 flood. It remains closed.

VAN ALLEN HOUSE
PO Box 296
Location: Franklin Ave. & Rt. 202
Oakland, NJ 07436
www.oakland-nj.org

National Register historic house museum, headquarters of General George Washington in 1777. Open for tours and events during the year, including Dutch Christmas. Property also contains the 1902 “Stream House,” currently being renovated by the Oakland Historical Society.
VAN VOORHEES-QUACKENBUCH-ZABRISKIE HOUSE
421 Franklin Ave.
Wyckoff, NJ 07481

18th century Dutch stone house with early nineteenth century additions (1824). Complete period furnishings, beautiful gardens. Open to the public. Call for details.
WASHINGTON SPRING GARDEN
Van Saun County park
216 Forest Ave.
Paramus, NJ 07652

BCHS website

County-owned historic site. Scenic, garden setting surrounding a natural spring reported to have been used by the Continental Army of General George Washington in 1780. Open from 9am to dusk. A County Historic Site.

THE WATER WORKS CONSERVANCY, INC.
PO Box 714, Oradell, NJ 07649

info@HWWC.org
www.hwwc.org

The Water Works Conservancy, Inc. (WWC) is an Historic Preservation Advocacy and Educational Organization whose mission is to tell the story of water as a vital resource through the history of the Hackensack River Valley, the interaction between the Hackensack River its ecosystem and the humans who depend upon it.  WWC supports the preservation and restoration of the intact historic and architecturally significant Water Works site on Van Buskirk Island, which includes the Pump House, Water Filtration Plant, Coagulation Basin and the unique steam-powered pumping equipment and 100-year timeline of technology intact within the site.

WORTENDYKE BARN
13 Pascack Rd.
Park Ridge, NJ 07656
http://www.thebarnjournal.org/stories/story013/index.html

County-owned mid 18th century New World Dutch barn, one of few left in Bergen County. Erected on the Wortendyke family’s farm (1735 – 1851). Contains exhibit on the development of agriculture in Bergen County. Open Wednesday, Saturday & Sun. 1 – 5, May Oct. Group reservations available by appointment. Free.
As the Bergen County Historical Society we receive numerous queries through our website.

Please contact BCHS if you would like your info added, amended or deleted.
Thank you, Deborah Powell
contactBCHS@bergencountyhistory.org

Bergen County Historical Society

The Bergen County Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit volunteer organization that promotes the preservation, study and appreciation of local history.

The BCHS is NOT a government supported agency. We rely on upon volunteer support, especially membership to protect our irreplaceable heritage and to pass on the lessons of history.

Bergen County Historical Society
PO Box 55
River Edge, NJ 07661
www.bergencountyhistory.org

Return to Main Page